Creating website designs to influence users plays a vital role in the present context of web publishing scenario. A large number of IT professionals and freelancers prefer to follow the psychology of website design and web development with branding. Major visitors to the web site are attracted to visual effects, and one has to admit, the site or the design should be created with immaculate proficiency backed by specialized professionals.
- VISUAL CONTROL : The first and foremost point in creating a lay out in website designing is Visual Control where it should guide the user towards what the designer wants to focus on. Therefore, the most preferred reading pattern is : left-right and up-down and should be able to help to scan the page in ‘Z’ shape. Preference should be at the top left, middle and bottom right in the website design. Spacing should be readable and the visual breaks can be used to point the user to a specific part of the site. The design should simplify the complex processes.
- COLOUR: Colour should be used to portray the web content for a reason but not the brand identity. Very popular and striking colours are : Light blue, green and yellow while black and red to be carefully chosen and should not misfit.
- TYPEFACE: In the web development, inserting typefaces, however, one has to be very choosy, as it creates an impression to the viewers. It establishes the tone of the writing, say “reading between the lines”. Serif Fonts are normally preferred.
- MIND CONTROL : – In website design, when asking for personal information, earning the user’s trust should be of highest importance, viz-a-viz (a) Purposeful – each page needs a clear purpose, (b) Safety – any security information should be explicitly stated and (c) Approachable – information that the users feel like they are dealing with real people.
- PANDERING TO NARCISSISTS : Users need recognition. Monitoring the user friendly and politely establishes relationship. Enabling expression in reviews allows the users to feel connected and interactive to the site. Harvard neuroscientists claim that discussing ourselves triggers the same pleasure receptor in the brain as food and money.
- USING TRIGGERS : Another factor in the web designing to be considered is – using triggers. As humans are emotive, and the web content invokes the emotion, the site can sway your viewpoint. Showing images in the web sites, can reinforce concepts, arouse positive emotions and induce user ratings and endorsements.
- BEHAVIOUR CONTROL : Maintaining consistency is another point which helps the users to navigate confidently through a website, thereby leading them towards the objective. Brand, design-elements and colours should follow identifiable patterns and schemes. The navigation skill though intuitive to many users, a clear visual clues within the website to be made accessible even to the new users. Overall, it should be innovative and can lead to unexpected rewards.
- POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT : With certain behaviours, the users can be manipulated to mutual benefits by inducting positive reinforcement into the users’ mind through attractive webdesigns, like notifications & updates, creating opportunity for social recognition with statuses and photos resulting in self reliance and wellbeing.
- PRIVATE INFORMATION : The users’ private information is a very powerful resource. The same has to be dealt with very carefully so that the users are confident that they are warmly treated. To get the information, we have to give service and make them essential to the users’ digital life including embossing their photos and other relevant particulars. This will encourage their type of activity and harvest the data. Since Account Registration is now an accepted norm for users, a method of securing user data, in exchange for access to the content will facilitate the effort we are making.